We annually present the Iowa Character Awards to Iowans who consistently demonstrate good character.
Since 2005, more than 100 individuals and organizations from across the state have received an Iowa Character Award.
Questions or Assistance
If you need assistance or have questions, please contact Amy Smit at 515-271-2293 or Amy.Smit@drake.edu.
The 5 step process:
- Select the award category.
- Provide contact information for the nominee.
- Answer six questions to tell us how your nominee demonstrates trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship.
- Upload any supporting documents (letters of recommendation, awards, press clippings). This step is optional.
- Provide your contact information.
Volunteers from our Selection Committee have put together a few tips on how to write a great nomination. Check it out!
- Nominees must be Iowa residents.
- Nominees cannot have been a recipient of an Iowa Character Award in the previous 5 years.
- Citizen of Character age categories are be based on nominee’s age as of January 1, 2014. The Youth category includes Iowans ages 10-18.
- CCII staff, contract trainers, board of directors, and their immediate families are not eligible for an award.
- The online nomination form must be submitted by May 13.
- Nominators may also include up to six pages of additional supplemental information (awards, press clippings, letters of recommendation).
- The ICA Selection Committee will begin reviewing nominations in June 2014. Upon completion of the review process, all nominators & nominees will be contacted by mail as to the results in June 2014.
- Nominees who are not selected as Award recipients will be mailed a congratulatory letter and Certificate of Nomination.
- Award recipients will be presented with their awards 2014 Iowa Character Awards dinner on August 1, 2014 in West Des Moines, Iowa.
- Award recipients will be given complimentary tickets to the Iowa Character Awards Banquet.
- Character Counts In iowa will be in contact with the Award recipients prior to the awards presentation to schedule recipient’s participation in a video biography.